| Chapter 11 | Chapter 12 | Chapter 13 | Chapter 14 | Chapter 15 | Chapter 16 | Chapter 17 | Chapter 18 | Chapter 19 | Glossary |
PLACES OF INTEREST
Bansgaon (Pargana Unaula, Tahsil Bansgaon)
The place which is the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name is situated in Lat. 26º 33' N. and long. 84º 11'E. at a distance of 22 km. south of Gorakhpur.
Bansgaon is built on a rising ground overlooking the Ami valley, which terminates in the wooded ridge that marks the line of the metalled road just before the commencement of the Tucker bandh (embankment). Originally, it is said, the place was occupied by the chauhans, but they were ousted by the Sarnets who still commemorate their conquest by assembling in the month of Asvina to offer sacrifice at the ancient shrine of Devi. Despite its large population Bansgaon is merely a village or rather a collection of villages, for there are really several mauzas with a common site, including Bansgaon urf Shahpur (Badain)Donkhar, Majhgawan, Marutia, Bahidandi, Bedauli, Balua Gopalpur urf Gopalpur and Baklaha, but the average inhabitant is quite content to name them all Bansgaon. The area of the component villages is assessed to a revenue of Rs.3884. The fair of Dasehra is held here on the 10th day of the bright half of Asvina attended by about 4,000 persons.
The old tahsil buildings in Baraban (Babain) were abandoned in 1905 and are now used for a dispensary, started in 1907. Now it is a pucca building constructed by Zila Parishad.
The new tahsil together with the sub-registrar's office stand a few hundred yards to the south. At a little distance to the east of the tahsil headquarters is an inspection house with a court room for the use of touring officers, erected in 1905. Besides these, Bansgaon has a police station, a post office, a dharmsala, a veterinary hospital, an allopathic dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a branch of the State Bank of India, two intermediate colleges one for boys and the other for girls, an government normal school. Bansgaon has a Population of 10,802 and an area of 5,380 ha.
It is also the headquarters of the Bansgaon Development block which started functioning on April 1, 1956 and has a population of 91,092 an area of 15,978 hectares, 103 Gaon Sabhas and 12 nyay panchayats.
Barhalganj (pargana Chillupar, tahsil Bansgaon)
The town of Barhalganj is situated in Lat. 26 degree 17' N. and Long. 83 degree 30' E. on the left bank of the Ghaghra, on the national highway running from Gorakhpur to Azamgarh at a distance of 65 km. south of the district headquarters and 40 km. from Bansgaon. It is also connected with Gola by a road. Regular bus service is available on these roads.
The eastern portion of the town is known as Chillupar since it lies on the far side of a small nullah named the chillu. The remainder is known as Barhalganj, though properly speaking, it consists of kasba Barhal, Gola and Lalganj, named after Lal Sahib, the brother of the Bisen chieftain of Chillupar or Narharpur, a village 1.6 km.east of Barhalganj, who fought against the British in 1857-58. Up to this confrontation the Bisen chieftain was the owner of Barhalganj but after that, Barhalganj was confiscated and some of the land was given to the raja of Gopalpur for his support to the British but he was soon compelled to sell it in order to pay his debts to the British.
Barhalganj is administered under the U.P.Town Areas Act 1914. For administrative purposes it is divided in to four wards. Several noteworthy fairs are held here during the year, such as the bathing fair on the 15th day of the bright half of Kartika, Dasehra fair on the day of bright half of Asvina and Magha Amavasya on the 30th day of the dark half of magha.
The town stands on a high kankar ridge which renders the natural drainage good and at the same time eliminates all danger of erosion from the Ghaghra. Along the main road stands the chief bazar consisting of a street flanked with pucca shops.
Barhalgani is electrified. It has a police-station, an allopathic dispensary, a degree college, an intermediate college, a post office, a dak bungalow, a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, a branch of the State Bank of India, a branch of the Hindustan Commercial Bank, a land mortgage bank and three dharmsalas. Manufacture of soap and gur, agricultural implements and steel furniture are the small scale industries of the place.
Among the numerous temples at Barhalganj, the important ones include those of Jalesarnath Mahadeva (an ancient and celebrated temple) the Thakurdwara of Charanpaduka and that of the Jagmohan Das on the northern outskirts named after its founder, one of the leading merchants of the town. The place has an area of 3.6 sq. Km. and a population of 9,247.
Barhalganj is also the headquarters of the Barhalganj Development block. Which was opened on April 1, 1958 and has a population of 89,539 with 92 Gaon Sabhas and ten nyay panchayats.
Barhi (Pargana Haveli, Tahsil Gorakhpur)
This village is situated in lat. 26º 36' N. Long 83º 29' E. about 28 km. south-east of Gorakhpur. Standing on low ground close of the Rapti, it is open to inundations from the river which at times erodes the northern portion of the village resulting in road breach. A police-station was established here to check the highway robbers hiding in the neighboring forests and active on the nearby roads. With the clearance of the jungle, the menace disappeared and the police-station was more usefully shifted to Gauri Jangal, a village about 3.2 km. north-east on the left bank of the Gurra river, Barhi is the site of a weekly market which is held on Thursdays. It possesses an allopathic dispensary with a medical practitioner, a post-office and an intermediate college.
To the east of Barhi, lie the villages of Rajdhani Tongri and Upadhaulia which contain the remains of buildings constructed possibly by the Mauryas. Barhi has a population of 1,743 spread over an area of 174 ha. Barhi is included in the Barhmpur development block.
Belghat (Pargana Dhuriapar, Tahsil Bansgaon)
Belghat is an agricultural village which lies in Lat. 26 degree 26'N. and long. 83 degree 10' E. at a distance of 42 km. from Gorakhpur and 9.6 km. from Sikriganj on the bank of the Kuwana Nadi. It sometimes becomes inaccessible during the rainy season.
In contains a police-station, an allopathic dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a cattle pound, a Senior Basic school and a post-office. Markets are held here twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday. It is assessed to a land revenue of Rs 3,931. It has a population of 2,623 spread over an area of 398 ha.
Belghat is also the headquarters of a development block of the same name which was opened on October 2, 1959 and has an area of 18,898 hectares, a population of 86,353 with 107 Gaon Sabhas and 11 nyay panchayats.
Bhauapar (pargana Bhauapar, tahsil Gorakhpur)
This village which gives its name to the pargana lies in Lat. 26 degree 40' N. and Long. 83 degree 22' E. at a distance of 9.06 km. on a road, south of Gorakhpur city. The place was the site of the fort and residence of the Sarnet Rajputs till 1400 A.D. Even after they settled in other parts of the district they continued to hold sway over it till 1570 when they were ousted by the Mughals. During the famine of 1769 famished tigers were a terror to the inhabitants of this place. Even in beginning of the 19th century wild beasts were responsible for seven or eight deaths and lifting of some 250 cattle on an average from its vicinity annually. The village has a population of 4,537 and an area of 140 ha.
Bhauapar falls under the Piprauli development block. It possesses a cattle pound a veterinary hospital, an Ayurvedic dispensary, a post-office with telegraphic facilities, a senior Basic school for boys and girls each and a Sanskrit pathsala. Marked is held here on Thursdays and Sundays. The place is electrified and has 658 residential houses.
Bridgmanganj (pargana Haveli, tahsil Pharenda)
Bridgmanganj formerly known as Sahibganj is named after J.H. Bridgman, the first grantee of the erstwhile Lehra estate. It lies northwest of Pharenda in Lat. 27 degree 12' N. and Long. 83 degree 12'E. at a distance of 58 km. from Gorakhpur and 13 km. from Pharenda.
The place has a thriving market, contains 470 masonry houses and good number of shops. Its annual land revenue amounts to Rs 4,413. It has a population of 2,371 spread over an area of 403 ha.
Bridgmanganj is the headquarters of the Bridgmanganj development block which covers an area of 19,876 hectares and has a population of 79,591. The block consists of 65 Gaon Sabhas and 8 nyay panchayats.
The place possesses a rice mill, a co-operative seed store, an allopathic dispensary, a veterinary hospital, a maternity and child welfare sub-centre, an intermediate college and a post-office.
Campierganj (pargana Haveli tahsil Pharenda)
Campierganj the headquarters of a development block to which it gives its name lies in Lat. 27 degree 2' N. and Long. 83 degree 16 E. at a distance of 8 km. south from Anandnagar railway station and 37 km. south from Gorakhpur with which it is connected by a road. The place has a population of 3,997 and an area of 274 ha.
The Campierganj development block consists of 61 Gaon Sabhas, 9 nyay panchayats, an area of 17,034 hectares and a population of 88,154.
The place is electrified and has a co-operative seed store, a post office, a veterinary hospital, a police-station, a dispensary, an intermediate college, 735 residential houses and a maternity and child welfare centre. Its yearly land revenue is Rs 1,788. Markets are held on Monday and Friday.
Chargawan (pargana Haveli tahsil Gorakhpur)
It is situated in Lat. 26 degree 48' N. and Long. 83 degree 24' E. at a distance of 9 km. north of Gorakhpur and is also the block headquarters of the same name inaugurated on January 26,1955. The block has an area of 17,581 hectares, a population of 1,19,147 and consists of 74 Gaon Sabhas and 9 nyay panchayats.
The close proximity of the village to the headquarters of the district and the North-Eastern railway, has enriched the place in a variety of ways. A beautiful and picturesque residential colony ornamented with trees and screened with an orchard, has recently been constructed here.
Chargawan is marketing centre of fish, vegetable and milk. It has a plant nursery, a seed store, a children' s park, a senior Basic school, a primary school, an information centre, panchayat ghar, an Ayurvedic dispensary, a veterinary hospital, an artificial insemination centre, a maternity and child welfare centre and a government agriculture school. It has a population of 983 and an area of 63 ha.
Chauri Chaura (pargana Haveli, tahsil Gorakhpur)
Chauri Chaura is situated in Lat. 26 Degree 38' N. and Long. 83 Degree 35' E. on the State highway between Gorakhpur and Deoria, 30.5 km. from Gorakhpur. It has a railway station which is 25 km. south-east of the Gorakhpur railway junction. Prior to abolition of zamindari the village was held by Sikh zamindars of Dumri (Gagaha), who established a bazar near the railway station and made the place a local commercial centre of hide trade. Adjoining Chauri Chaura on the north is Murear (Mundera) Bazar, another flourishing market.
Chauri Chaura came into prominence in 1922 when its inhabitants whole-heartedly participated in the Non-co-operation movement started by Gandhiji.
In February 1922 on hearing that the sub inspector of
Chauri Chaura police-station had assaulted some of the Congress volunteers at Murera
(Mundera) Bazar, an infuriated mob assembled before the police-station Chauri Chaura in
February 5,1922 demanding explanation from the guilty official. It
ultimately resulted in police firing killing 26 persons. After the police had exhausted their ammunition and went inside the police-station, the enraged crowd challenged the policemen to come out of their den and on their paying no heed, it set fire to the thana in which 21 policemen and a sub-inspector were burnt alive. Consequently, Gandhiji suspended the Non-co-operation movement. The people of the district did not forget their freedom fighters. In 1971, they formed Chauri Chaura Shaheed Smarak Samiti. In 1973, this Samiti constructed near the lake at Chauri Chaura a 12.2 metres high triangular minaret on each side of which a martyr is depicted hanging with a noose round his neck. The minaret was built at a cost of Rs 13,500 generously contributed by the people.
Chauri Chaura falls in the Sardarnagar development block. It possesses a maternity and child welfare sub-centre, an allopathic hospital, a degree college two intermediate colleges, a higher secondary school for girls and a primary school for both boys and girls. The small scale industry of the place includes the manufacture of agricultural implements and re-rollers. It has a famous gur and dal mandi. It has a population of 2,096 spread over an area of 3.89 sq.km.
Dhakwa (Pargana Dhuriapar, Tahsil Bansgaon)
It is big village which stands in Lat. 26 degree 32' N. and Long. 83 degree 12' E. stands on the north on left bank of the Kuwana Nadi, about 36.08 km. Southwest of the district headquarters and 35 km. from tahsil headquarters.
Formerly the place was an important grain market and a collecting centre for the large traffic on the kuwana but its glory declined since the construction of the railway at Sahjanwa, much of the trade diverting to it. A certain amount of business in grain, cloth brass vessels and spices however is still transacted here. The chief market days are Wednesday and sunday in each week.
Dhakwa is assessed to a land revenue at Rs 613. It
has a post-office, two primary schools (one for boys and one for girls), a Sanskrit
pathsala, two temples and a mosque. It is included in the Belghat development block and is
electrified. The place covers an area of 109 ha. and has a population of
Dhani (pargana Haveli, tahsil Pharenda)
It is an important market place, situated west of pharenda in Lat.27 degree 7' N. and Long. 83 degree 10' E. at a distance of 14 km. from Rigauli 9.6 km. from Bridgmanganj and 57 km. from Gorakhpur. The market is actually situated in Kanapar, an adjoining village to the south, on the bank of river Dhamela but is invariably known as Dhani Bazar. Formerly it was the collecting centre for the trade of western part of tahsil Maharajganj and the adjacent parts of Nepal, occupying a position analogous to that of Nichlaul and from it large quantities of grain were being continually despatched by river Dhamela. But just as Nichlaul has been eclipsed by Siswa Bazar, so Dhani has succumbed, it is still a Bridgmanganj. Though its importance has thus declined, it is still a flourishing market and is full of traders except during the rains when the swollen Dhamela river renders navigation difficult. At other times the stream flows quickly some 9 metres below the level of its bank. The former zamindars used to derive handsome profits from the bazar and also from the high rents paid for the fertile lands of the place.
The village pays a land revenue of Rs 1,026 annually. The chief market day is Monday in each week. It has a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, a post-office, a dispensary and a maternity and child welfare centre. The place is electrified and has in it 375 houses. It covers an area of 207 ha. and has a population of 1,373.
It is also the headquarters of a development block of the same name which is functioning since October 2, 1962, and consists of 61 Gaon Sabhas, 8 nyay panchayats, an area of 15,732 hectares and a population of 68,103.
Dhuriapar (pargana Dhuriapur, tahsil Bansgaon)
The village which gives its name to the Dhuriapar pargana is situated in Lat. 26 Digree 25' N. and Long. 83 Digree 15' E. on the north or the left bank of the Kuwana Nadi about 46 km. from Gorakhpur and 42.57 km. from Bansgaon.
The history of the place may be said to begin with the invasion of the Kaushiks under their raja, Dhur Chand. He drove out the Bhars whom he found in possesion of it in the middle of the 14th century and established himself all along the northern bank of the Ghaghra. According to tradition, Dhur Chand founded after his name Dhuriapar, which for a long time was the stronghold of the Kaushiks.
The place has a primary school and a post-office. It is assessed to land revenue at Rs 265. It has an area of 36 ha. and a papulation of 1,025.
Gagaha (pargana Bhauapar, tahsil Bansgaon)
Gagaha lies in Lat. 26 Degree 26' N. and Long. 83 Degree 27' E. at a distance of 17 km. from Bansgaon. The place is actually a village or rather an agglomeration of villages including Hatwa, Mahdeiya, Bans Gagha, Arazi Hariharsir Buzurg, Hariharsir Buzurg, Dumri (Gagha), Paspurwa, Katha Chak and Kusmhaura Buzurg Khurd. The place is noteable however, possessing a police-station, a post-office, an intermediate college, a cattle pound, a stockman centre, and a veterinary hospital. In the First World War (1914-18), this place supplied 18 soldiers. At the time of the Second World War (1939-45), the village was an important place for landing air and jet crafts. The village is electrified and is assessed to a revenue at Rs 1,327. It has a population of 2,937 and an area of 173 ha.
Gagaha is also the headquarters of a development block which was inaugurated on April 1,1962. The Block covers an area of 16,770 hectares and a population of 74,145 and has 96 Gaon Sabhas and 10 nyay panchayats.
Gajpur (pargana Bhauapar, tahsil Bansgaon)
The village of Gajpur lies in Lat. 26 Degree 29' N. and Long. 83 Degree 29' E. on the right bank of the Rapti at a distance of about 38 km. south of Gorakhpur and 17 km. south-east of Gorakhpur and 17 km. east of the Bansgaon tahsil headquarters. It is approached by two unmetalled roads leading from villages Kauriram and Gagaha.
It was formerly a halting place for cargo boats on their voyage up and down the Rapti. Since the partial disappearance of the river traffic, Gajpur has lost its commercial importance.
In 1570 when the Sarnets were defeated at Gorakhpur by the imperial commander of Delhi, their chieftain, the raja of Satasi so called from the fact that his domain was 87 kos in circuit, took up his abode at Gajpur. His family remained there for 50 years till the Sarnets re-occupied Gorakhpur.
Near the Rapti river, there was a large house built by Rani Sahas Kuari, grandmother of Lal Saheb, one of the Sarnet chieftains. The building has been eroded by Rapti.
It falls in the Kauriram development block and possesses a post office, a maternity centre, a higher secondary school, a primary school for boys and a primary school for girls. The village is assessed to a land revenue at Rs 1,893. It has a population of 5,349 and an area of 210 ha.
Gola (pargana Dhuriapar, tahsil Bansgaon)
The town of Gola, also known as Gola Bazar, Madaria and Gola Gopalganj or the grain market of Gopalpur, is situated in Lat. 26 Degree 21' N. and Long. 83 Degree 22' E. on the bank of the Ghaghra, at a distance of 61 km. south of Gorakhpur. It is 57 km. distant from Bansgaon.
The place is said to have been founded by one of the rajas of Gopalpur, a neighboring village, from which it derives its name.
It formerly stood on the bank of the Kuwana Nadi but in 1872 the stream diminished owing to the diversion of its waters in to the Ghaghra, with the result of that the trade of the place suffered heavily. Subsequently the Kuwana again increased in volume and the prosperity of Gola revived, while eventually the Ghaghra itself adopted a more northern course by uniting with the Kuwana at Shahpur and thus flowing immediately beneath Gola. But the establishment of the railway both at Barhaj and Dohrighat on the opposite bank of the Ghaghra had dealt a far more fatal blow to the commercial importance of Gola than all the vagaries of the river. The trade routes having shifted to places on line of the railway, most of the traders have left Gola for elsewhere.
The place consists of a narrow street lined with shops running parallel to the Ghaghra with narrow lanes leading from it between the densely packed houses to the river bank. The houses are for the most part built of brick and cement but there are some large masonry structures near the river and a temple built by local merchants in the days of Gola's prosperity.
Gola was administered under the Bengal Chaukidari Act of 1856 till 1914 when it was constituted a town area. The town is electrified, electricity having been introduced in 1963. Water is supplied through waterworks which was constructed in 1968.
The well-known muhallas of Gola are Bhikhiganj, Ruihata, Baramthan, Daldahi and Anjaiganj. Gola possesses a police-station, a post-office, an inspection house, a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, a maternity and child welfare centre, a dispensary, a library, an intermediate college, a junior Basis school, a senior Basic school and a bank. The town has a population of 5,492 spread cover an area of 0.12 sq.km.
Markets are held here on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Two big bathing fairs--Kartika Purnima and Magha Amavasya, attended by about 8,000 persons are held here every year. Another important fair, Dasehra is held where thousands of persons gather to see the dramatization of the story of the Ramayan.
It is also the headquarters of development block of the same name which has been functioning since October 2, 1962 and has a population of 84,730 an area of 14,088 hectares, with 107 Gaon Sabhas and 10 nyay panchayats.
Gopalpur (pargana Dhuriapar, tahsil Bansgaon)
It is a fair sized village which stands in Lat. 26 Degree 22' N. and Long. 83 Degree 20' E. on the road from Gorakhpur and Sikriganj to Barhalganj, about 5 km. north-west from Gola and 48 km. from Gorakhpur. Close to the village, the road is linked by a long cross-road running direct from Rudrapur. Gopalpur has figured in the history of the kaushiks. In the first half of the 18th century some of the kaushiks of Dhuriapar estate established themselves at Gopalpur. By 1836 the raja of Gopalpur plunged deeply into debt and his ruin was inevitable. At the outbreak of the freedom struggle in 1857 he supported the British and as a reward he received another estate assessed at Rs 12,000 annually and which enabled him to save Gopalpur partly. The bulk of his ancestral domains in Gopalpur had to be sold in liquidation of debts. Most of the inhabitants are Rajputs.
Gopalpur is included in the Uruwa development block and falls in the Gola police-station. It possesses a Unani dispensary and a junior high school. It is assessed to a land revenue at Rs 830. It covers an area of 157 ha. and has a population of 1,528.
Gorakhpur (pargana Haveli, tahsil Gorakhpur)
Gorakhpur the headquarters city of the district and the Division of the same name, lies in Lat. 26 degree 45' N. and Long. 83 degree 22' E. 279 km. east of Lucknow, about 111 m. above sea level at the confluence of the Rapti and the Rohin both forming the western boundary of the city. To the south-east of the city lies a large lake named Ramgarh Tal and on the east lies an extensive forest tract.
Roads radiate from the city to Pharenda on the north, Maharajganj on the north-east, Kasia (in district Deoria) on the east, Deoria on the south-east, and Bansgaon on the south.
The Kanpur-Gorakhpur-Katihar main line of the North-Eastern railway traverses the city from west to east with Domingarh station in the west and Gorakhpur junction in the centre of the city. From the latter a branch line runs northward to Pharenda junction and Nautanwa, while a second runs north- eastward to Captainganj junction, in district Deoria.
The drainage of the city is carried towards the Rapti in the south and the Ramgarh Tal in the south-east. During the rainy season the water level in the Rapti and the Rohin rises higher than the ground level but the city is protected by herbert bandh. The Ramgarh Tal has a pucca drive Which also protects the city from the lake water.
The city is said to derive its name from Gorakshnath popularly known as Gorakhnath, a guru in the Nath Yogi Sampradaya which is also known as siddha Yogi or Avadhut-Yogi Sampradaya. In ancient times there was a shrine of Goraksha, a local deity here which was destroyed by Ala-ud-din Khalji.
According to tradition one Man Sen or Madan Singh was ruler of the place during 900-950 A.D. The large tank called Mansawar, Mansagar or Mansarovar is ascribed to him and the smaller one called kauladah to his wife Kaulavati.
By the time of Akbar, Gorakhpur had become a large town, It had a mint and a garrison and remained the headquarters of the Gorakhpur sirkar in the subah of Avadh till the British occupation. About 1610 Basant Singh built his stronghold in the Basantpur muhalla. In 1680 Qazi Khalil-ur-Rahman the chakladar of Gorakhpur, ousted his successor Rudar Singh and established a garrison. Aurangzeb's son Muazzam who visited the city in 1680 A.D. called it Muazzamabad, a name confined only to the historical records.
In 1801, Saadat Ali Khan (the Nawab of Avadh) ceded the city to the British who made it the district headquarters. The original civil station was in the Captainganj muhalla, but during summer all government officers, both civil and military, used to move to the comparatively cool precincts of the old fort constructed by Basant Singh in Basantpur muhalla.
Gorakhpur became a military station in 1810 when some of the East India Company's troops were brought here from Faizabad to repel the Nepalese raids. At the same time, the cantonment was established in the east of the city and shortly the officers started shifting from Captainganj muhalla to settle near the cantonment area. The station became an important British army headquarters during the Nepal war in 1805. In 1857 Mohammad Hasan, a former nazim of Gorakhpur, joined the freedom struggle and proclaimed himself nazim of the place and occupied the city . The British fled to Azamgarh and for a year Gorakhpur remained independent of the rule of the East India Company. The British army re-occupied only in August 1858. The civil station still contains a large number of bungalows built before 1857-58.
On September 7, 1869 the city was raised to the status of a municipality. The subsequent events of importance were the abolition in 1886 of the cantonments, the creation of the Gorakhpur Division in 1891 with headquarters at Gorakhpur and the growth of the railway settlement. In 1921, Mahatma Gandhi visited Gorakhpur and the city emerged as a centre of political activity. The city has a population of 2,30,911 and the area 38.9 sq. km.
The present city is developing around Golghar expanding in two directions, to the east and to the south-east.
The shift of the centre of the city from the earliest site in the north to the south and now to the east has left a marked effect in its general life. The old muhallas look deserted now.
It is now divided into 34 municipal wards. To the north of the Kanpur- Gorakhpur-Katihar main line of the North-Eastern Railways are the localities of Madhopur, Humayunpur and purana Gorakhpur, the last containing the Mansarovar and Kauladah tanks and the famous shrine of Gorakhnath of undoubted antiquity, rebuilt in 1896. The temple is rectangular with a verandah around it supported by round pillars. The building is whitewashed with decoration in colour. The plinth is half a metre high. The shrine contains the gaddi of Gorakhnath on which rests his kharaun (Wooden slippers) and hand bells.
The most important localities to the south of the railway are Alinagar and Dilazakpur having generally residential houses of wealthy business men. The object of any interest in this part of the city is the Kirat Chand dharmsala in the Jateipur muhalla.
The main localities in the south of the city are the Mian Bazar, Urdu Bazar, Sahabganj and Basantpur. The last lies in the south-west extremity and contains the site of the old jail which stood on the spot formerly occupied by the fort of raja Basant Singh. To the south of Basantpur Khas is the old masonry serai built by Chester, a former collector of Gorakhpur. To the north of the old jail site is the Bagladah tank. To the east of the Bagladah tank is another tank known as the kawwadah. Adjoining Urdu Bazar is the khudai or Jami Masjid built by Qazi Khalil-ur-Rahman towards the end of the seventeenth century.
In the south-eastern part of the city is located the Imambara built at the close of the 18th century by Raushan Ali, the first Mian Saheb of Gorakhpur. Nearby are the women's Hospital called the Dufferin hospital named after the wife of Lord Dufferin, the then viceroy of India and the Campier hall or town hall housed by the offices of the municipal board. In front of the town hall stands the statue of Rani Laxmibai of Jhansi on horseback. Near the town hall, the municipal board have recently erected a coloured fountain to commemorate the Swatantrata Rajat Jayanti. It has become the centre of attraction for the whole city. The collectorate, the kotwali, the treasury and the tahsil buildings and other district level offices are situated opposite the town hall. Immediately south are a church and the commissioner's court and office, the district courts and the bar library.
Near the railway junction station are located a huge loco workshop and the railway training centre and to the north of the railway settlement lies the district jail where Ram Prasad 'Bismil' was hanged in 1926 for his conviction in the Kakori conspiracy case.
Gita press was established here in 1922. It is famous throughout the country and abroad for printing and publication of low cost books on Indian culture and civilization and for Hindi rendering of books of scripture and Indian philosophy so as to reach the masses. Gita press literature is widely read. It is available at the press sales depots all over the country having stalls at big railway stations. There are mobile vans also selling the press publications to the masses.
Among the educational institutions in the city are the Gorakhpur University established in 1955, five degree college, 15 intermediate college, and an engineering college.
One of the old and prominent institutions in the city is the St. Andrew's College founded in 1901. Till 1916 it used to hold classes only up to the intermediate. The degree section was started in 1916. The college has hostel facilities for the students.
The city has 11 hospitals, ten maternity and child welfare centres, a veterinary hospital and a Medical College which was established in 1972.
The hospital known as Arogya Mandir which provides treatment by nature-cure to patients is also an institution of all India fame.
There are also branches of seven scheduled banks, four public clubs, two inspection houses, six post-offices and a sports stadium in the city.
The city is famous for the manufacture of tobacco and for embroidery on leather. The carpentry enjoys a local reputation for making palki. Gorakhpur is a big centre of handloom industry and most of the work pertaining to the district is done in the city. This industry is run on cooperative as well as individual basis by the local weavers. Its main products are towels, bed-sheets, pillow and table covers besides saris which are famous for their colour and designs and are sent to the various parts of the country.
The important wholesale distribution centres of the
commodities in the city are described below:
S. No. Name of centre Commodity
1. Chaurigola Gur, ghee
2. Sahibganj Gur, ghee
3. Urdu Bazar Cloth and general merchandise
4. Golghar Hardware, paint, building material
5. Sabzimandi Vegetables
6. Dharmshala Fruits
7. Alinagar Grains, cloth,vegetables, hardware,
8. Bakshipur " " " "
9. Clock Tower Road Chemists and druggists
10. Mian Bazar Road Cycle
Kauriram (pargana Bhauapar, tahsil Bansgaon)
This small village is situated in Lat. 26 degree 32' N. and Long. 83 degree 25'E. on the road leading from Gorakhpur to Azamgarh at a distance of 8 km. east from Bansgaon and 38 km. from Gorakhpur. It marks the southern extremity of the Tucker bundh over the valley of the Ami river and from it roads radiate to Rudrapur on the north-west, to Gola on the south and to Gajpur on the south-east. At present, it is much more developed due to improvement in road communication. A new market of grain and cattle situated at Pandepar, about one km. distant on Kauriram-Gajpur road has raised the importance of Kauriram in point of commercial environment.
It has post-office, a dispensary, an inspection house, a police outpost, an intermediate college, a senior Basic school, a dharmsala, a nursery, a co-operative seed store, a maternity and child welfare centre and a veterinary hospital. It is electrified and water supply facilities are available. Its land revenue is Rs 747 annually. It covers an area of 98.3 ha. and a population of 785.
Kauriram is also the headquarters of the Kauriram development block which was opened on July 1, 1957. The block covers an area of 16,856 hectares and has a population of 85,367 with 87 Gaon Sabhas and 11 nyay panchayats.
Lakshmipur (pargana Haveli, tahsil Pharenda)
The headquarters of Lakshmipur development block is situated in Lat. 27 degree 15'N. and Long. 83 degree 23' E. at a distance of 10 km. (by rail) south of Naikot and 62 Km. north of Gorakhpur. The block has been functioning since October 2, 1962 and has a population of 83,201 and an area of 23,225 hectares. It has 100 Gaon subjas and 10 nyay panchayats.
Lakshmipur is electrified and possesses a post-office, a railway station, an allopathic dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a police outpost, an intermediate college, a veterinary hospital and 553 residential houses. The land revenue of the village is Rs 1,365 annually It has a population of 2,618 and an area of 264 ha.
Lehra (pargana Haveli, tahsil Pharenda)
The village is situated in Lat. 27 Degree 10' N. and Long. 83 degree 20' E. 8 km. north of Pharenda on a Road. It is 5 km. distant by rail from Bridgmanganj and 50 Km. from Gorakhpur.
The place is said to have derived its name from the erstwhile Lehra estate which lay within it. It was originally acquired as a forest grant in 1833 by J.H.Bridgman. He died in 1862 and the property passed to his manager and son-in-law, J.J.Holdsworth. The office and residence of Holdsworth known as Park House stand about a mile and a half north-west along a metalled road from the Lehra railway station and is now in the possession of the government of India. Lehra has a post-office and 461 residential houses. It is included in the Bridgmanganj development block. The local fair of the place is held on the occasion of Ram Navami. Its land revenue is Rs 3,620. Lehra has a population of 2,308 and an area of 580 ha.
Maharajganj (pargana Haveli tahsil Maharajganj)
The place which is the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name lies in Lat. 27 Degree 9' E. and Long. 83 Degree 34' E. at a distance of 55 km.north of Gorakhpur. The place was selected as the headquarters of the Maharajganj Tahsil in 1860 and contains the tahsil, a considerable masonry building constructed at a cost of over Rs 30,000 high sum in terms of value of money then prevailing.
The village pays a yearly land revenue of Rs 2,290. It contains a post-office, an allopathic hospital, a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, a dharmsala, a maternity and child welfare centre, an intermediate college, an artificial insemination centre, an inspection house, a branch of the State Bank of India, a co-operative bank, a land development bank, a senior Basic school, two higher secondary schools and a degree college. The population of the place is 6,058 and the area 454 ha.
Maharajganj is also the headquarters of the Maharajganj development block which has an area of 21,340 hectares, a population of 98,955, 74 Gaon sabhas and 8 nyay panchayats.
Murera Bazar (pargana Haveli, tahsil Gorakhpur)
The town also known as mundera Bazar stands in Lat. 26 degree 39' N. and Long. 83 degree 35' E. on the State highway running from Gorakhpur to Deoria district, at a distance of 30.5 km. from Gorakhpur. The place is a grain market. Its inhabitants supported Gandhiji's Non-co-operation movement in 1921. On February 1, 1922 while some volunteers were peacefully picketing ganja and liquor shops, The sub inspector of Chauri Chaura police-station accompanied by a number of constables arrived there and manhandled some demonstrators. After this a large gathering of volunteers proceeded towards Chauri Chaura police-station where they asked the sub-inspector to apologize for his act at Murera(Mundera) Bazar and on the his refusal set fire to the Chauri Chaura police-station.
Murera (Mundera) Bazar was declared a town area in 1971 under the U.P.Town Areas Act 1914. The town is electrified. It possesses a degree college, two intermediate colleges, a post-office, a dispensary, a cinema house and a railway station. The place has a population of 6,178 and area 6.4 sq. km.
Nautanwa (pargana Binaikpur, tahsil Pharenda)
Nautanwa is an important commercial town situated in Lat. 27 degree 26' N. and Long. 83 degree 25' E, north of Pharenda at a distance of 81 km. by rail from the district headquarters on the Gorakhpur-Nautanwa branch line of the North Eastern Railway. It is also linked with road from Gorakhpur and Pharenda, the distance being 88 km. from Gorakhpur and 43 km. from Pharenda. The town includes in it are the villages of Purana Nautanwa, Parsauni Khurd, Bhundi and Bishunpura.
In October 1925, Nautanwa was declared a town area under the provisions of the Bengal Chaukidari Act of 1856. It continued as such till December 1971 when it was given the status of a municipality. For administrative purposes the municipality is divided into 10 wards. The town contains an area of 19.87 sq. km. and it has a population of 11,776.
Nautanwa gives its name to a development block which was inaugurated on July 1,1957. The block has a population of 1,04,773 and an area of 29,874 hectares with 99 nyay panchayats.
The town possesses a stockman centre, a veterinary hospital, a police-station, a hospital maintained by the Christian missionaries, two Zila parishad hospitals-one for males and the other for females, a maternity and child welfare centre, two intermediate colleges, a senior Basic school, four rice mills, three mosques, a dharmsala, a temple, two cinema houses, an inspection house, a branch of the State Bank of India, a district co-operative bank and a branch of the Central Bank. Agricultural implements, steel and wooden furniture are the local manufactures of the place. Markets are held on Saturdays, the main items of trade being rice and cloth.
Nichlaul (pargana Tilpur, tahsil Maharajganj)
The market village of Nichlaul is situated in Lat.27 degree 19' N. and Long. 83 degree 44' E. at a distance of 79 km. from Gorakhpur and 24 km.north from Maharajganj. The place formerly belonged to tappa (a component part of the pargana) Khas and from this fact, coupled with the existence in the vicinity of the remains of a fort, which may very possibly be that referred to in the Ain-i-Akbari, it is reasonable to suppose that the place represents the original Tilpur. Nichlaul was also the residence of the rajas of Tilpur during the brief period of their existence, while subsequently the ousted rajas of Butwal made it their headquarters. In 1857-58, Raja Randula Sen of Nichlaul, the last representative of the Butwal family joined the freedom struggle against the British and in consequence of which his title of raja and allowance granted in 1845, were forfeited. It is also the headquarters of the Nichlaul development block which was opened on October 2, 1953. The block covers an area of 30,973 hectares, has a population of 1,04,705 and comprises 99 Gaon sabhas and 10 nyay panchayats.
The place has a police-station, a bus station, an allopathic dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a cattle pound, an artificial insemination centre, a veterinary hospital, a higher secondary school, a senior Basic school, a primary school, a cinema house, a co-operative bank and a post-office. Market is held here every Thursday. Nichlaul is also a range headquarters of the forest department. Its land revenue is Rs 2,382. The village has a population of 3,505 and an area of 657 ha.
Panera (Pargana Haveli, tahsil Maharajganj)
The village stands in Lat., 27 degree 0' N. and Long. 83 degree 28' E. at a distance of 48 km. north of Gorakhpur. Its distance from Maharajganj is 34 km. It has a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, a police outpost, a dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a sub post-office, a higher secondary school, a branch of co-operative bank, and a seed store. Gur is the small scale industry of the place. The place is also a range headquarters of the Gorakhpur forest division. A market is held here on Fridays. It pays an annual land revenue of Rs 2,817. Panera has population of 2,035 and an area of 496 ha.
It is also the headquarters of the Panera (Paniara) development block which was inaugurated on April 1, 1958. The block has an area of 20,721 hectares, a population of 89,219 and includes 72 Gaon Sabhas and 9 nyay panchayats.
Pharenda(pargana Haveli, tahsil Pharenda)
The place which gives its name to a tahsil of the same name is also known as Anandnagar (Rudrapur) and is situated in Lat., 27 degree 6' N. and Long. 83 degree 17' E. at a distance of 45 km. north of Gorakhpur on the State highway. It is also connected with Gorakhpur by the meter gauge of the North Eastern Railway. The railway station of Pharenda is known as Anandnagar.
Pharenda is said to have derived its name from the Pharenda or jamun (Eugenia Jambolona) trees that grow here.
The place is the headquarters of a development block bearing the same name. The block was opened on October 2, 1956, and has under its jurisdiction 72 Gaon Sabhas and 9 nyay panchayats. The area of the block is 16,472 hectares and population 78,316.
Pharenda is electrified and possesses a female dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre, a veterinary hospital, an intermediate college, a higher secondary school, two inspection houses, a police station and a post and telegraph office. A big fair known as Dasehra fair, is held here in the month of Asvina and attracts a gathering of over 1,000 persons. Market is held on every Wednesday. The place contains 756 houses which are, however, not assessed. It pays an annual land tax of Rs 578. The area of the place is 101 ha. and population 4,039.
Pipraich (pargana Haveli, tahsil Gorakhpur)
A town which is the headquarters of a development block is administered by a town area committee which was constituted in 1914. Pipraich is situated in Lat. 26 degree 50' N. and Long. 83 degree 32' E. It is connected by rail and road with Gorakhpur, distances being 32 and 21 km. respectively. It is an important centre of trade in grain, cloth and metal utensils. The town is provided with a post office, an primary health centre and a hospital a police-station a veterinary hospital a railway station an intermediate college having co-education, a co-operative bank, Punjab National Bank, a teachers training school, a sugar mill, an inspection house, a maternity and child welfare centre and a water works. It has 1831 residential houses. The population of the town is 7162 and area 2.8 sq. km.
Pipraich is also the headquarters of the development block of the same name which was opened on April 1, 1960, comprising 77 Gaon Sabhas and 10 nyay panchyats with a population of 83,365 persons over an area of 13,028 hectares. Bi-weekly markets are held, on Mondays and Thursdays. Its mainstay is the sugar mill which is quite old and flourishing having a turnover of Rs. 1,24,37,422 annually. The crushing season is from November to March and the number of persons working in it being 1044.
Sahjanwa (Pargana Hasanpur Maghar, Tahsil Gorakhpur)
Sahjanwa lies in Lat.26 degree 45' N.Long. 83 degree 13' E. 18km. west of Gorakhpur on a railway line and about 20 km. on national highway leading to Lucknow. It is the collecting station for the produce of pargana Hasanpur Maghar and has attracted much traffic especially in oil-seeds and pulses. The police-station is also named Sahjanwa. It has a cattle pound, a veterinary hospital, two temples dedicated to Siva, a post-office, two intermediate colleges for boys, a higher secondary school for girls, a jute mill, a seed store, an allopathic dispensary, a maternity and child welfare centre and a co-operative bank. The population of the place is 4,419 and area 263 ha.
Sahjanwa is the headquarters of the same development block which started functioning on April 1, 1961. The block has a population of 86,441 an area of 15,144 hectares, 10 nyay panchayats and 99 Gaon Sabhas.
Sangrampur (pargana Unwal tahsil Bansgaon)
It is an agricultural village which lies in Lat. 26 degree 37' N and Long. 83 degree 19' E., 12 km. north-west from tahsil headquarters and 29 km. from Gorakhpur. It was formerly the headquarters of the Sarnets. The place is also known as Unwal and Kasba Sangrampur and it is quite possible that it originally gave its name to pargana Unwal, of which it had long been the principal town. For some years it was administered under Act XX of 1856, which was however, withdrawn long ago.
Sangrampur has a post-office, two senior Basic schools (one for boys and the other girls) and a medical practitioner. The village is electrified and is included in the Bansgaon development block. The place has a population of 8,014 and an area of 62 ha.
Siswa Bazar (pargana Tilpur, tahsil Maharajganj)
The town of Siswa Bazar is situated in Lat. 27 degree 9' N. and Long 83 degree 46' E. at a distance of 12 km. north of Ghughli and 66 km. north-east of the strict Headquarters on the Gorakhpur- Chhitauni branch line of the North Eastern Railway. With the advent of the railway about 1907, the town has become one of the principal markets of the district. Several local Marwaris and dealers from other districts have opened grain agencies here.
For purpose of civic administration the place was administered from 1871 to 1914 under the provisions of the Bengal Chaukidar Act of 1856 and has been a town area since 1914. The population of Siswa Bazar is 8,358 and area 0.12 sq. km.
The town is electrified. It is also the headquarters of Siswa development block which is functioning from April 1, 1962, and has a population of 96,075 and an area of 19,270 hectares, comprises 81 Gaon Sabhas and nine nyay panchayats.
The town has a post-office, two cinema houses, an intermediate college, a seed store, a maternity and child welfare centre and a sugar mill.
Markets are held at Siswa Bazar on Wednesdays and Saturdays. A big fair is held on the occasion of Dasehra.
Thuthibari (Pargana Tilpur, Maharajganj)
The village stands in Lat.27 degree 26' N and Long. 83 degree 42' E. in the extreme north of the tahsil on the bank of the Piyas river. It is 95 km. distant from Gorakhpur and 40 km. from the tahsil headquarters. Market days are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Thuthibari possesses a cattle pound, a police-outpost, a post-office, an Ayurvedic dispensary and an intermediate college. It was formerly the exchanging place for prisoners crossing borders to and from Nepal. it is included in the Nichlaul development block. The village is assessed to a land revenue at Rs 2,105 annually. Its population is 3,784 and area 426.5 ha.